What’s more fun than being outside, playing in nature? For many kids, it’s being outside, taking photos of nature! Kids love gadgets so help them enter the Valley Land Fund youth photo contest with age brackets from 6 to 9, 10 to 13 and 14 to 18 years of age. Kids are encouraged to submit their six (6) best images by July 31st for the Valley Land Fund Photo Contest with over $5,000 in cash and prizes!
Five quick photo tips from professional outdoor photographer Ruth Hoyt:
- Stand or sit squarely behind your camera—so horizon is straight
- Be very selective as to what is included and what you leave out. Move to the left or right a little to adjust your image.
- Check the 4 corners of your camera viewfinder and watch out for distracting elements—again work to create a good composition.
- Focus—most cameras have a short shutter delay, so make sure your child knows to keep her/his finger on the shutter button until the photo is taken.
- Take more than one photograph of your subject—take 10 shots and just delete the ones you don’t want.
Children will have a chance to explore the outdoors in June and July and attend the free Awards Ceremony on August 15th, 7:00 pm at Quinta Mazatlan. Every child will be recognized with a winning image in the multi-media show and receive a free SOUTHERN EXPOSURES t-shirt.
All children in the Rio Grande Valley counties of Texas are invited to take nature photographs, and enter the contest! Take a picture any time this summer from June to July, but make sure it is submitted on a disc with an Entry Form by July 31st to Quinta Mazatlan and other participating sites. For more information and to download contest rules and entry forms, visit Our Website or call us at (956) 681-3370.